Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baking "Tookies"

Doodle-bug was sick. We assumed she was cutting a big molar. She'd been home with my sister for 3 straight days and they both needed a break. I offered to babysit. (this is still July stuff...I'm late. I know. I'm sorry.)

Delaney had a fever and her tongue was covered in little white sores. We didn't know it, but Delaney was suffering from Hand, Foot & Mouth Virus. We didn't know that until the next morning. All I knew was...feeding her cantelope during dinner that night was the single worst thing I possibly could have done. (I swear...I had really good intentions! Whitney said she hadn't been eating so I was just fixing all of Delaney's favorite things.)

Not only did the cantelope sting, but she looked at me with terror and pain and her eyes filled up with genuine, giant tears and she held her arms out for a big hug. Broke. My. Heart. She cried (which made me cry) and then she asked to go home and "sit with daddy". I'd really effed up. I needed a new plan. There was only one thing left to do. We got out the cookie stuff and baked "chokit chip tookies". (I know...but that kid is my favorite thing in the whole world. I would have rolled around in mud if it would make her stop crying.)



"cheeeeeeeese"


"Unka Ryan? Will you wipe my finners, pease?"


In hind-sight, I may not have let her lick the spoon. Hand, Foot and Mouth is (apparently) super contageous. But again. With the crying. She almost got a pony that night:

No comments: