Monday, August 3, 2009

The Victor Show

I'm not sure if this is a semi-annual event, but I know it revolves around a guy named Willie Averill. He lives in England. Well, before that he lived in Lawrence and went to KU (Right? He went to KU? I'm asking you, Trish. You're his sister. Hi Trish!)

So Willie comes back a couple of times a year and gathers his most brilliant friends to write and perform a sketch comedy show. It's called Victor Continental. "Victor" is a guy who sits on stage surrounded by hot women and hosts the show - introducing acts and leading us all in drinking games. (did I mention it's a drinking show?)

This year was brilliant. More brilliant than years past (fewer jokes about living in Lawrence and more jokes about actual funny, life things - and sometimes drugs, drinking and World War II.) MANY of Ryan's friends are involved so it makes it even more fun to watch. (But the lack of Trish WAS a tough adjustment.) :)

I can't say I remember EVERYTHING that's happening in each of these photos, but I'll do my best. Also, this happened about a month ago. July 17th, in fact. So I apologize for the very late post.

Here it is...the magic of Victor Continental:

A skit about "what if Judd Apatow wrote the sequel to Star Trek":


(then it got strange and trippy and the guys smoked some pot):


Victor and his girls, drinking:


A skit about a new drug for women that makes them less moody during that time of the month. It got strange and trippy too. (hey...wait a minute...)


A skit about health insurance and where to get some for cheap..."Crazy Eddy's", I think it was:


The band:


The man:


God Bless America:


Spoon Creek, "Gangstas from the JoCo":


A skit about "Mime School" - and the one student who thought it was "Mine School":


Mime General, Loren:


"Mimes don't talk!"






The puppet show:

Mr. Doper:


A skit about LARPing (Live Action Role Play) and the people who do it:

Something to do with "Predator"...I wasn't very clear on this one (we just liked the outfit Margaret made):


If court was more like a game of "Hangman":




"The Product Placement" skit...several tiny moments smashed together to thank the sponsors of the show:



This had a title ("Mutiny on the U.S.S. Something?") but I can't remember...It was about a bunch of cereal box characters on Cap'n Crunch's ship. It had a plot, but I was mostly entertained by Loren in his Tony the Tiger outfit. And every time a new character came on stage, everybody was laughing so hard that we forgot to listen.

This is Lucky, Apple Jack and Tony the Tiger:

Count Chocula and the Cheerios Honey Bee:

Snap, Crackle and Pop:

Special K (equally brilliant and offensive) and Cap'n Crunch:

Lucky, Count Chocula, Cheerios Honey Bee, Tucan Sam, Tony the Tiger, and Apple Jack:


The Victor girls:

(posing)

The Raffle:


"Slideshow". My favorite!! A story (narrated off stage) where the lights go out for a brief second (like changing slides) and then the characters are all instantly posed when the lights come back on. It's very fast and amazing to watch. And it's sort of late in the show so I don't know how they do it. I'd totally forget what I was doing or run on stage or lose my balance or be in the wrong slide at the wrong time. Anyway. This one was about "things to do in Lawrence on a Saturday night" and the three girls (Jacqueline, Kitty and Hilary) who take us through their evening.

This is Jaqueline, who works at Arizona Trading Company:

Jacqueline (and her new outfit from Arizona Trading Company), Kitty (who is trying to shave and make a phonecall? at the same time) and Hilary (who just did a line of coke):

The back porch of the Replay:



Melia, who narrated the entire thing..."beep!"

I think this is when Hilary went to "Brothers" and got roffied:

...And possibly gang-raped:

This is Fred Phelps and Hitler. You know. Because it's Lawrence:


These are the street urchins on Mass:





Kitty, trying to light the Eldridge on fire (again):




Victor and "his brother" (Willie)

Our buddy, Matt Gaus - who is playing some sleazy attorney-at-law (man...I really suck at re-capping stuff. I apologize. I can't remember his name in the skit either. I just loved that he was shirtless.)

Niiiiiice:

Every Attorney needs back-up dancers...PETER JUSTICE! That's it..."He's Peter Justice":


The skits that didn't quite make the cut:





Something about a "bell choir"????

THE END

So it's clear my memory of the details was directly proportionate to the amount of beer I consumed. If anyone is reading who was there (or in it) and you'd like to correct any of my mistakes, please feel free. I'd be most grateful. It really was a great show.

1 comment:

Neuty and Trish said...

Ha! What great pictures of the show! I'm afraid I don't remember the whole thing either.

Also, Will did go to KU, the details of his "graduation" are a bit sketchy but he did go.

Trish