Monday, July 19, 2010

learning to be flexible

I spent the entire weekend thinking about Kelly and Sophie. They were scheduled to fly in to Kansas City at 10:00 this morning.  Ryan and I were supposed to have dinner with them tonight in Topeka. I talked about it all weekend. I picked out my outfit this morning thinking, "This is what I want to wear when I meet Kelly for the first time."  I called Ryan on my way to work, "Would you pull up the itinerary that the attorney sent us so we can track the flight as she comes in?" We were so excited!

I got to work and opened my email. There was a message from our attorney. Kelly missed her flight. She will arrive at 5pm tonight.

Hmmmm...

I know it's not a big deal - it's a difference of 7 hours - it doesn't mean she's not coming at all or that anything has changed - it just means that we probably won't be having dinner with them tonight. By the time they drive to Topeka from the KC airport and get all settled in, it will be after 8:00. Time for Sophie to go to bed. And if they ran around this morning, trying to catch the first flight, they're probably tired. 

I was just so excited to meet them!!  I was excited about giving Sophie my little "welcome" gift and giving Kelly the card I wrote, but I understand. Things happen. I have to be flexible. I can't control everything. (these are lessons I'm still working on at 33.)


For now, I'm just going to wait* to hear from our attorney that everything is fine and they arrived safely and we will meet them some other time.

*(...I suck at waiting too!)

No comments: