Monday, November 1, 2010

the bright side

As a new mommy, nothing makes me feel like more of a disaster than getting a onesie stuck on my child's head. He kicks and screams and real tears well up in his eyes every time I change him. Every. Single. Time. But trying to pull an entire outfit over the growing noggin of a baby is like trying to shove a frightened squirrel into a grocery sack. It's hard. I used to pull his outfits up from the bottom, but as they stretched to fit over his shoulders, we'd just end up with a bunch of accidental v-necks. By pulling them over his head, I feel completely terrified that I'm going to scratch him with a fingernail or poke him in the soft spot. I know the whole process would go so much smoother if he would stop trying to wiggle his way to freedom, but on the bright side, my little squirrel has doubled in size. His little onesies are getting stuck because his head is growing - not because I'm a terrible mom. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm playing a reluctant game of peek-a-boo with the screaming parts of my child's face.

No comments: