Sunday, September 5, 2010

Luke Adler Westhoff

My son opened his eyes today.  

We held him and loved him and let him hear our voices yesterday, but it did not feel like he was “our son” until today when he opened his eyes and looked right at me. 

We had a very brief “conversation” that went like this:

“Hey buddy”

“Hi, mom”

“Hello.”

“Hey, mom? Who are all of these people?”

“Well…That is your dad. That is your Aunt Sarah. And that is your Uncle Brandon.”

“Okay…that’s cool. I’m gonna close my eyes now.”

“That’s fine. I’m glad you opened them for us. Excuse me while I wipe my tears.”

(eyes closed)

(eyes open)

“Hey mom?”

“Yes, my love.”

“Which one is dad, again?”

“He’s the one over there with the video camera.”

“Okay. Cool. Night-night.”

“Good night.”

And I completely lost it.

Ryan has the entire thing on video.

Priceless.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!! This is the best blog post I have EVER read. Congratulations you two!

Unknown said...

I suppose I should have said, you THREE!

Sheelagh said...

Yay! Okay, such a sweet conversation...My eyes were tearing up too!

Krissondra said...

You should publish this someday. I love reading your updates and this was by far the best one yet! I teared up when I read it...soooooo happy for you, Ryan, and Luke!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! You are one lucky family! :)

kerrie said...

Well, well, well... The heartache, the wait, the travel, the money spent, the disappointment, the drama, the trauma, the sadness, the elation, the tears... all totally and completely worth it, eh? This IS the prize you've been keeping your eye on!

Congrats, congrats, congrats!

And for the record, this is perhaps the BEST BLOG ENTRY EVER WRITTEN! I am beside myself with glee for you three and can't wait to meet Luke (hopefully at the reunion in October!).

Here's wishing you the very, very best! Congratulations on the arrival of your son!
~kerrie (and matt and carter)