Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween Decor

The scariest house on the block (not really). Halloween in our neighborhood is a pretty big deal. There are a million little kids and they all arrive in steady packs of 5-6 for about two hours straight. Then there's nobody until those older kids with the masks and pillow-cases show up - like somebody drove them around and dropped them off.

I've finally done away with carving real pumpkins. I never seem to make any time for it, and it seems more wasteful every year. In my attempt to make "greener" choices, I've begun using these re-usable ghost and jack-o-lantern candles. They work out great. They come out each year (on the night of Halloween) and immediately go back inside so they don't get smashed in the street. (And yes, I realize I sound like one of those "get off my lawn" people. I don't mean to. I just don't like seeing things broken in the street. I don't get it.)



These are my new urns. Up until last week, they contained sad, shriveled, little, hibiscus trees. Thanks to a sale at Hobby Lobby, they will now take me well in to Thanksgiving!


Candles, candles, and more candles. All around the tree, all along the planting area, all along the brick ledge, all along the pathway up the stairs...about 50 candles in total. (and yes, we are voting for Obama tomorrow!) Next year, I'm going to make a little graveyard with the super-awesome Halloween decorations I bought (50% off) yesterday! Woo hoo! Not so much green, just re-usable.

No comments: